October 5, 2013

Party dress - BurdaStyle 11.2012 #121


Pattern:         BurdaStyle 11-2012 #121
Size:               36
Fabric:           brocade
Techniques:  invisible zipper, pleats, upper lining.
Alterations:   shortened the sleeves


I wore this dress to a friend’s wedding party and I can gladly say it's the most comfortable party dress I ever owned. Loved the pleats and the pockets! Overall, I find the silhouette of the dress very flattering. 

The pattern was very straight forward and easy to follow. Still, I managed to spend about 3 days sewing it... All thanks to my extraordinary ability to mess things up when you would think there's no way one could possibly mess things up! 
Anyway, I kept calm, kept the seam ripper close and managed to get the job done.

The fabric was easy to work with. I've worked with brocade before so I was expecting it to fold nicely and submit willingly to steam power. The thing that's not so great with brocade it's the fact that you risk to pull the fabric threads when using the seam ripper. But this is manageable if you're careful enough.

Here's the back of the dress with the nice looking pleats :)


And because I got some extra free time in the morning before the party, I also made a coordinating brooch from the fabrics of the dress and it’s lining. Thought about pinning it to the dress but then changed my mind and pinned it to the black bolero I wore. 
This was my last (late) summer garment. Now I'm off to sewing me some fall dresses because I've been wanting to do that for so long and I finally got the time!

4 comments:

  1. You had some vision to see past Burda's "interesting" version! I wish I had this issue now! Your dress looks lovely and you've done a really neat job. I love this fit and flare style. This reminds me of the Elisalex which I've just bought and I was thinking of doing it in a sturdy fabric like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! Yes, I especially wanted the flare on this dress, I was actually hoping it would be even more visible. But that's all my brocade could do. I think that with taffeta the flare effect would be more visible. Oh well... next time :)

      Delete